Sunday, January 30, 2011

More Saturday morning bike rides

     We have made it a habit to take a bike ride on Saturday mornings. We never leave the house quite as early as we intend to, but usually by 10:00 am we head out, water bottles and cameras in our bike baskets, and make an effort to ride somewhere we haven't been before. It's one of my favorite things to do, and we haven't failed to find new roads to explore. I especially love heading out of town and into the countryside, where the scenery changes from urban to rural in a matter of minutes.

     The photos say more than I can tell you in words.

Typical stilted house - the space underneath is a perfect place to park bicycles and motorbikes,
hang a hammock, wait out a rainstorm, etc.

Tending the rice paddy

I love all these beautiful orderly gardens

I'm not sure what she's harvesting here - maybe morning glory?

Dry rice fields, cows, palm trees...beautiful
High tech equipment

Buffalo - they just like to hang out

I still haven't figured out how they stack the hay like this



More lovely  vegetable plots
"Ting mong" - to protect from bad spirits 

You see these guys less often, but they sure are impressive!

Kids come running to the roadside to wave and shout hello to the foreigners

I love the variety of spirit houses

     And then there are sights like this:

"Do you have any idea what we're doing here?"
"Not a clue. How about you?"

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Looking out my window at the fresh foot of snow below me, I can hardly believe that we share the same planet. I miss you very much