Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday, 17 February

    Not a lot to report, but I'm enjoying my friend Alison's blog (< that's a link, folks) as she prepares to come here for a visit, and she writes these nice quick little updates. Maybe I'll try to do the same for a while...

     I went shopping today for a couple of things we needed around the house. First, pillows for Alison and her kids. (We can borrow extra mattresses and sheets from Seven Candles Guest House, but they don't have any pillows to spare.) Sovann was amused by the fact that the pillows were vacuum-packed flat in plastic and then puffed up impressively when we opened the plastic bag. They are "Supper Healthy" pillows and they promise that "Pillow of Dolphin make you have sweet dream." I'm not sure what dolphins have to do with pillows or sweet dreams, but that is just one of many daily mysteries.


    I was also thrilled to find WD-40. We have some squeaky doors and I have tried oiling them with vegetable oil, which wasn't terribly successful. Now our doors are quiet and I have enough WD-40 to last for years. How satisfying.

     When we came back from our pillow-and-WD40-buying spree, Sovann had a snack of what he refers to as "baby eggs." I think the rest of the English-speaking world refers to them as balut (see Wikipedia) but for those who are unfamiliar with this delicacy, they are duck eggs that have incubated for about three weeks and are then boiled, so it's essentially a hard-boiled partially-formed duck fetus. At 1200 riel each (about 30 centes), I suppose they make a nice high-protein snack. I have tried a bite before, and tried it again today. There's some yolk in there, which tastes just like yolk, but there are also identifiable feathers and head and other duck parts. The consistency isn't as bad as you might think - it's sort of like country pate (can't figure out how to put the accent marks in there; sorry) and the taste is quite fine. However, I doubt I will be indulging in them on a regular basis as regular hard-boiled eggs are fine by me.

They look like innocent little eggs...

...until you crack them open.

Tastier than you might imagine.


     But just to put it all in perspective, this was Steve's lunch yesterday:

3 comments:

anne damrosch said...

Steve, did you eat the eyes? And the brain? The brain is important. You are what you eat!

Miriam said...

Those eggs are truly hard to think about getting down the hatch.

Steve said...

wasn't here when they were consumed, fortunately