Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A selfish post

Greetings, dear blog readers;

     I write to you today, as usual, from Siem Reap, where the sun is shining and the water is just starting to recede a bit from the third (or is the fourth?) flood of the season. We're off on a little adventure to Phnom Penh this weekend to attend TEDx Phnom Penh, which should be interesting. We're all busy with work and school and sweeping and trying to keep our feet dry, and life is generally very good.

     I feel a little awkward about posting this particular entry, but I am motivated by the fact that from time to time, people ask if they can send us something to help out in our various endeavors. Steve knows a few former volunteers from Australia who have generously sent items for his classroom. Last year, in time for Christmas, our friend Miriam and her family sent a box of medical supplies. Our friend Alison and her kids came in February and fulfilled all kinds of wishes from our list at the time. You can't imagine the joy of receiving a box of stuff here - it's better than Christmas ever was, even as a kid! Since our friend Miriam is coming for a long-overdue visit sometime (probably) in December, and has reported that she will have room to bring things in her suitcase, I thought I would put the word out.

     If you have ever thought about wanting to contribute something, but haven't been sure what to send or how to send it, I have created a solution. I spent some time on the Amazon.com website and made a "Wish List of things I can't get in Cambodia." (It totally reminded me of the hours I would spend as a kid pouring over the Miles Kimball catalog, making lists of items I lusted after.) If you want to spend $3 or $10 or $25 or anything at all, you may find something on that list that fits.

     I have no expectations whatsoever here. I don't want anyone to feel any pressure or obligation or anything else unpleasant. This is really meant as an opportunity for those who have expressed interest in "doing something" and nothing more than that.

     There are a number of medical and health-related items on the list, which are my top priorities. These can be used in both of my jobs and also in my "freelance" nursing role here in town. Most prescription drugs are available here cheaply over the counter, but other things are impossible to find or enormously expensive.

I love doctors with "skills."
I once saw a sign for a doctor
who advertised "Using real otoscope."
My best advice: Don't get sick here.

     There are also arts & crafts items on the list that can be used by the girls at the shelter. I don't write about the girls that often, in part out of respect for their privacy, but at any given time there are between 5-20 girls age 5-17 years old who are studying and recovering and getting counselling and preparing for the next stage of their lives, and nothing makes them happier than creating something - and I think it's therapeutic as well.

They make the most amazing things with just colored paper,
but imagine what they could make with other stuff...!

     (I must confess that there are a few selfish items on the list. Feel free to ignore them, but I couldn't resist the urge to include a couple of things we could use around the house. They are lowest on the priority list for sure.)
Sometimes, you just want a little familiar tea for your sore throat.
     So if you're interested in "doing something," take a look at the list at this link. You will be able to see my comments and priorities on the right side of the page. You can sort by price or by priority. You can have the items sent directly to my friend Miriam's address, avoiding any troublesome logistics. Many of the items listed are just examples of things needed and you can easily substitute something else bought locally - or better yet, if you happen to have something already lying around the house unused, send that. I guess that idea works better for some things than others - a used blood glucose monitor is a fine idea, but maybe used rubber gloves are not...

     Have questions? Ask me. Have something else in mind that you want to send along? Just ask me to make sure it's a good use of Miriam's suitcase space - you can never predict what is and isn't available here, and some things are dirt cheap. And if there's something you'd like from Cambodia, I bet Miriam will have suitcase space on the way back too. Just ask me!

     I'm sorry I can't offer you a tax deduction for any contribution you make, but I promise that anything sent will go to the best possible use and I'll be able to tell you all about how amazingly helpful it is.

     In the meantime, I am missing my friends and family and Vermont foliage, but feel honored to be able to be here trying to do my small part in the world. Perhaps our next trip home to Vermont will be for yet another wedding, as Skyler has just proposed to his wonderful girlfriend Jenny and there is another wedding in this family's future!

With heartfelt gratitude and warmest regards,
Jess

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

People may also send items they would like shipped to Jess and Steve to: Apex Sealing, 164 B Yankee Park Road, Fairfax, Vt 05464We ship boxes all over the world every day. It is less expensive for us to ship as we enjoy discounts. (Jess is being typically kind-hearted to avoid mentioning this because she already shipped with us and thinks it is too expensive.) Providing shipping is the least I can do as Jess's aunt since I can't do much else to alleviate the situations she and Steve deal with every day. Please use us!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I am Mary Campbell (AARP), Jessica's aunt.

Robin (Hippo Flambe) said...

Jess, Can you use boxes of lancets to use with the blood testing meters? Also, a question about the sculpey. Did you know it needs to be baked to cure it? People often use a toaster oven but it can also be baked in a regular oven.

Robin

Jess said...

Hi Robin. Lancets are actually available here pretty cheap, but thanks for asking. I do know that Sculpey needs to be baked, and we have an oven, so we're good on that count! I hope all is well with you - Jess

Robin (Hippo Flambe) said...

Glad to hear you knew about the Sculpey, I just thought I remembered needed some sort of a special oven set up for you to bake bread.

Robin