After 20 years of my amateur haircuts at home, Steve went to the barber down the street and had the full treatment: haircut, shave, shoulder massage. A much better deal, as I never gave him the shave or massage.
 |
| You gotta trust your barber if he's holding a straight razor that close to your jugular. |
 |
| I bet this barber chair is older than I am... |
 |
| Haircut, shave, massage: $3. |
We bought bikes on Monday. So many choices! Well, actually, not so many: there are the $38 bikes (one speed), the $50 bikes (one speed, heavier frame) and one special $45 bike (three speeds and a belt rather than a chain.) Steve went for silver, I liked the special blue one. They forgot to install locks before we rode home, so they came to the guest house in the evening to install them later. Unfortunately, mine had a blow-out yesterday morning about 100 yards into our first ride. The tire came off the rim, then the tube had an anuerysm and popped with a sound like a gunshot, which greatly amused some construction workers nearby. I guess the bike shop will come back yet again and fix it. Biking here is an adventure all its own, but absolutely the best way to get around town once you've got the hang of it.
 |
My new bike - no chain, but belt-driven!
(The other bikes are those that belong to the guest house.) |
We enjoy some time with the kids every day. They are impressed by Steve's Lego-building skills, they enjoy a good book, and they wait patiently for a turn with my computer. I'm happy that our new home will be less than five minutes away by bike, because I would miss them if I couldn't continue to see them often.
Jaz has a Khmer lesson every evening from her friend Yeum. He was
Venerable Yeum when I met him in March, but after six years as a monk he has become a laymen, or just a regular guy. I didn't recognize him with hair and without his orange robes. He's a wonderful young man, and when I'm feeling a little more settled I will begin my own Khmer study. Having sat in on Jaz's lesson today, I suspect it will take me about three years to catch up to where Jaz is now. Yeum can dictate sentences and Jaz can write them in Khmer, which has one of the most challenging alphabets you can imagine - it has 70-odd characters, with things I don't understand at all like dependent and independent vowels. Wish me luck; I'll certainly need it.
 |
| Jaz and Venerable Yeum in March |
 |
| Yeum and Jaz this week |
We spent some time yesterday riding around town, figuring out where we'll buy things like sheets and towels and pots and pans. We spend all kinds of time pondering questions like, "Will we want a toaster oven?" and "What will Steve cook first?" We drooled over the produce in the market as we always do, but were thrilled that we'll soon be able to shop there and bring home lots of fresh food.
 |
| Obligatory market produce photo |
Oddly, I dream of (former) co-workers almost every night lately. The dreams are vivid and complex, sometimes full of obvious themes or meaning, and at other times mysteriously weird. It's odd to dream of people I worked with for so long when I've never dreamed of them before. It contributes to the time and space warp that seems to have happened - events in early August already feel like they happened many months ago, and full-time employment really seems like very ancient history. It's impossible to beloieve we were still in Portland a week ago.
More house info coming soon, I promise. We went back to visit the house again yesterday and found the landlord working on some improvements we asked for (and even some we didn't.) Here's a peek at the front of the house - the landlord and his family live downstairs and we're renting the upper floor, which all by itself is larger than our house in Jericho:
 |
| Our new home. Address: 627 Banteay Chas, Slorkram Commune; Siem Reap, Cambodia |
9 comments:
Ooooo, the house looks like it's made out of sherbert. I name it Sherbert House.
Hi Jess, I want to compliment you on your fine photography for the well-composed pictures. If you do see any panoramic possibilities I will be happy to help you turn them into panoramas, should you want to. Interesting about the dreams and time warp. I'm going through fast time travel thing myself. The weeks just seem to roll around almost faster than I can keep up; the speed seems to increase the older I get. Betsy and I send our good wishes to all of you. Tom
Thanks, Tom. Coming from you, a compliment about my photos is especially nice. I'll be sure to send you some shots to turn into panoramas sometime!
Wow! Can't wait to see the inside. How come you can get a great 3 speed pike in Cambodia for $45 and you can't even find a decent 3 speed here! Watch out! I'm coming over!!
Hi there
what a cool house! Nice to read some of your travels. I just returned (with Maya) from CO. Besides getting Johanna settled we also visitied Garden of the Gods - a beautiful natural area with amazing red rocks. johanna seems settled in a very cool place. Phew. She leaves today for an orientation trip to some fertile valley in Colorado to work on an organic farm. Maya leaves today for St Paul and Eliza got on the bus this morning for her first day of middle school. Anyway, I will be having more time to read in coming weeks so look forward to hearing of new blog posts. Love Jill
oops. this really wasn't meant to be anonymous
Love your pace, love your choice of topics, love your pictures (before and after -- great), love your discussion. And oh, yeah, love you guys. Sara
PS: Alice's jam won first place at the Champlain Valley Fair. FYI and pride. Yes, we have a winner.
Aloha Jess and all,
Can hardly wait to hear more about the house. Hugs to all, Tom and Betsy
I thought that excessive drinking maybe led to deformed carrots.
I LOVE this blog. Thanks for writing it. Turning into fall here. Tell Steve US Open Men Finals postponed till today (Monday) due to rain. NADAL FTW.
Post a Comment