Sunday, September 12, 2010

I have quite a lovely commute these days

     My bike ride to work takes 20 minutes if I want to arrive sweaty, and 25 minutes if I want to take it easy and arrive slightly less disheveled. For the first day or two, I was taking mostly main roads, which meant I was sharing the road with plenty of traffic of all kinds, including buses full of tourists on their way to Angkor Wat. Then I found the back roads, which are mostly dirt, often shady, and full of far more interesting sights. We've had a few days with little or no rain, so there are fewer puddles to negotiate. I pass small roadside businesses, kids, dogs, chickens, goats, and monks, and I share the road with tuktuks, motorbikes, and other bicycles.

     I thought you might enjoy a few scenes along the way.

Roadside gas stations for motorbikes -
 the gas is in those Johnnie Walker bottles.
I have no idea what's in the big blue containers.

There are food carts and stands along the way,
though I've usually had breakfast before I leave home.

There are plenty of other bikes on the road.

There are a few car wash businesses around town,
but these motorcycle washes are more common.

In case I need a cold drink along the way...

One of the best features of this route is the shade...

It's rather quiet along some points.

Classic scene: laundry hanging on the fence, garbage on the side of the road, children.

Sometimes it's just me and the dogs.

I'm not really sure what this billboard is advertising.
It looks like some kind of liquor, but there appears to be a deformed carrot on the right.
One of many mysteries I encounter every day.

All the cool kids (and old men) are rocking the sarong this season.


After several days without rain, most of the puddles have dried up.

They drive on the right here,
unless they're going to make a left turn any time soon,
or the road is less bumpy on the left,
or they just feel like driving on the left.

Water, water, everywhere, all in plastic bottles.

Monk crossing

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the slide show and the commentary. Favorite is the deformed carrot billboard. Watch for those in the vegetable markets. Your pictures convince me beyond a shadow that it is right that I am not there. Why is it okay to bicycle in desolate places, but you have to lock up at night for security. Do bad guys come out only at night? I really hope this is not one of those messages that gets sent to everyone. xxxx, Sara

Jess said...

Bravo, Sara. This was NOT a message that went to everyone!

Yes, Cambodian bad guys only come out at night, if ever. But they're not very dangerous; they carry deformed carrots rather than guns.

RavenRead said...

I think the deformed carrot might be ginseng - a root the power of which is reserved for men in some cultures.

Love the pictures!

Unknown said...

Hi Jess,

Love the pictures and your writing!! Brings back lots of memories. I think the deformed carrot is ginseng-your local energy drink!

Julia

Corky said...

FAAAARRRR more interesting than my commute to Williston. Thanks for sharing. I will share some fall pics with you soon so that you can have a taste of Vermont in all her glory. xo- Corky
P.S. Do you have an email address now? Did I miss it?

Jess said...

Ginseng it is then. (See how little I know around here???) But I prefer to think of it as a deformed carrot.

Silly Corky - I have the same email address as ever: jessw3745@gmail.com. I would LOVE photos from home!