For the past many years, we have collected our thoughts on Thanksgiving Day by putting up a poster or putting out our "holiday book" with lots of blank space and the prompt, "We are thankful for..." Dozens of serious and not-so-serious lists have been made over the years of the things we try to remember not to take for granted. We didn't follow that tradition this year - I think we took a bike ride instead - but I am thankful every day for a multitude of things, and I thought I would share some of them here:
In no particular order, I am thankful for:
- the cheap cost of living in Cambodia
- having a brother who is living in, taking care of, and renting our house
- fresh rambutan, pomelo, and mangosteen
- my incredible kids - all of whom make me proud in their own individual ways, just as it should be
- the generosity of strangers
- having deep roots which allow me to fly the coop with confidence
- my (relative) good health
- Bernie Sanders
- oxygen
- critical thinking skills
- access to education, health care, and Scotch tape
- Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts
- my incredible partner and best friend, Steve
- Susan B. Anthony
- Steel Door Achievment (sic)
- the possibilities and potential represented by a brand new notebook
- online banking
- freedom of speech
- the internet
- Julian Assange
- Diet Coke
- a family legacy of strong, capable women
- a passport
- DHL
- being laughed at every day, and the ability to join in the laughter
- people who have boundaries
- extra-fine point roller ball pens
- cheese
- people who send me chocolate
- Gorilla Glue
- literacy
- bite-sized Frosted Mini Wheats
- being a native speaker of English, and knowing enough not to take it for granted
- cell phones
- strategic planning (the concept, if not the process)
- bifocals
- maple candy
- watercolors
- hammocks
- cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden
- rechargeable batteries
- frogs
- Skype
- dental floss
- mosquito coils
- Van Morrison, Michael Franti, and Sarah MacLachlan
- rainy season
- dry season
- green, orange, and purple
- Jon Stewart
- opportunities
- Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream
- the sense of satisfaction that comes from accomplishing something in the first half of the day, and then relaxing in the second half
- a nice set of sheets
- every moment of every day
What are you thankful for?
12 comments:
I am thankful for your blog!
Dogs.
Words and the ability to use them.
This gorgeous tough bitch that is Manhattan.
My fabulous friends and my friends that, blessedly, are not fabulous.
Nights of ten-hour sleep.
Being still pre-menopausal.
Having had my first jobs in the worst economy since the depression.
Italian wine.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Books, especially e-books, specifically on my iPad.
Frye boots.
Being a free bitch, baby.
And on that note, Lady Gaga and all the pop stars I've glommed onto however briefly.
Younger men.
The Internets, especially Twitter.
Coffee.
Working from home.
Artists and the art they make and the restless spirits which force them to make art.
My wretched past.
My beautiful future.
laughter with my strong, beautiful,wonderful, intelligent women friends.
My fabulous children and grandchildren.
my car
fresh air and sunshine.
youthfulness (not mine)
old age (mine)
the wisdom I have acquired and the wisdom that is still to come.
my garden
pomegranates
dictionaries (so I can spell pomegranates)
google and email.
candlelight
flush toilets
running water, heat and hot water
good health!
Chaos.
Snuggling.
Wistfulness.
Scrabble.
Old friends.
New friends.
Lost.
Wine.
Conversation.
Dreams.
Intellect.
Dorkitude.
Maya.
Bean.
Resolution.
Olive oil.
Bacon.
Childlike laughter.
Curiosity.
Water.
Taking deep breaths.
Photographs.
Art.
Kindred Souls.
Travel.
Solitude.
Commitment.
Forgiveness.
Neurons.
Dexterity.
Memories.
Dreams.
Forums for expression....
each breath, fall evenings moonsine, not the drinking kind, each of four beautiful children, watching them launch themselves, becoming a grandma, new faces in my life, being able to think clearly, christmas trees with white lights, wrapped packages, tomato soup and rice, godiva chocolate, my date book, Barak Obama, a clean kitchen floor, friends who challenge me, my husband and truest friend Mike, experience with age, Barnes and Noble, funky nail polish, massage, wrinkle cream, singing cards, my sisters, Leota, peace of mind, truest friends, no one has mentioned it but sex has to make someones list, watercolor, an afternoon nap, cell phones, traditions, annis defranco, the back roads, smartwool socks, toothpaste, a surprise letter, found money, a really cold beer.
I love everyone's lists. :)
I'm pretty sure I know who the first "Anonymous" is, but I can't figure out the second...
Care to identify yourself, or are you enjoying your anonymity?
Hope I am not too late...
a full gas tank, a CSA of winter vegetables, the wonder of a growing amaryllis, peace and quiet, a turkey roasting, a plane ticket, a good laugh, someone to dust, a passionate game of "Apples to Apples"........
Friends in far places......
It's never too late to be thankful.
I had to think about one of your items: "Someone to dust." I started out wondering "Why would you want to dust someone...?" Then I figured out you must mean someone who will do the dusting for you! I agree wholeheartedly!
(Sing if you can)
Can anybody find me..... somebody to dust??????
Sorry it took me a while, Jess, to read it, but your blog came through just fine. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new jobs.But I liked hearing about your days of listening to birds too. It's already below zero at 6:00 PM this evening. I'd like to be rocking in your hammock!
Post a Comment