Thursday, December 15, 2011

All I want for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Solstice/Festivus...



     Never mind all the time I spend window-shopping on Amazon.com, creating ridiculous wish lists like a little kid - what I really want are emails from folks at home. And I realize that's asking a lot. You're all busy and stressed with holiday preparations of your own, so I don't care if those emails come now or in February or whenever you have the time to sit and write something. Every one of those emails, like every single one we have already received since we got here, will be a gift. A wonderful, heart-warming gift.

     Because absence DOES make the heart grow fonder, and I feel better every time I hear news from home about how life goes on like we remember it. Knowing that those of you back home are still doing what you do and being who you are somehow makes it possible for me to be here.

     So, what are you up to these days???

4 comments:

Anne Damrosch said...

Well, so glad you asked! And I feel the same way. Doesn't matter whether friends or family live across the globe or across the street-I check my email multiple times a day (I hate admit how many) in hope of hearing from everyone. It's always a pleasure.

I'm better at reporting on the immediate present than I am at remembering what I've been doing in the last two days, much less the past month, but I'll try to do a little of both. Today I shopped for puppets, chocolate, and picture books for my littlest family members, and mailed packages which contained the results of a day of cooking last weekend with my friend Alison. We made cookies...they were all eaten by midweek. But I did manage to send off jars of tapenade, spiced pecans and cashews, and preserved lemons to my foodie family members. Actually, I stopped by the Family Room this morning to drop off a pasta machine for the budding preschool chefs to use tomorrow. The FR is running so well. Nell's baby massage group was on WCAX news this week. Did anyone send you the link? Let me know.

Last week I went to a retreat with two wonderful Buddhist women teachers, Sharon Salzburg and Sylvia Bornstein. It turned out I had my dates wrong and so I arrived 24 hours late to a silent retreat. It was interesting figuring out what was going on without being able to ask. Kind of like living in a foreign country, right?

I'll be spending Christmas and New Years in Brooklyn with Phoebe, Andre, Finn, taking the train down. I absolutely love the ride from Rutland to NYC. It's beautiful following the Hudson River. Everyone on the train seems happy and relaxed, including the conductors. Quite unlike the last trip to NY in October when my return flight included a night sleeping on the floor at JFK, thanks to Jet-blue's ineptitude. Trains rock!

Sending you holiday well wishes and hugs.

Anne

PS: Kelly, Greg, Chelsea and I raised a glass to you at the Skinny Pancake last week.

PPS: Did you hear that Glenn's mom passed away last week?

John said...

Hi Jess

Today I went to the Holiday service at Rock point School. The kids organize it and they include dozens of candles, Advent candles, O Come O Come Emmanuel, Hannuka candles, Sing Hannuka, Solstice candles with a round about love, Kwanzaa Candles, with a discussion of the principles, a reading of The Night Before Christmas, reflections by old and new students, a blessing and then they sit down to a dinner that is made up of dishes from all the traditions and places of the ceremony. It is a very moving experience to see these young people celebrating in earnest and heartfelt fellowship.

Later on in the evening, Becky and Sara came for dinner. We had steak, mushrooms, cauliflower and cheese sauce, with ginger cookies and fresh orange. Alice had the other half of a BLT that she got while attending a meeting of the Cathedral Square Board. That organization is going like gang busters in providing housing for the elderly and anyone else who pops up on their radar. We all looked at slides of the old days. Alice is working on a project to get our slides transferred to digital images.

I am becoming a functional member of the cathedral pastoral care team. It involves visiting people who don't get around much any more. I enjoy talking with people about their past: I learned, watching my father and my aunt, that one feature of increasing old age is that, as you lose friends and family, big chunks of your life become irrelevant... Nobody knows what you know. So, shooting the breeze with these folks is good for both of us. I have a partner, who is experienced in this business and she is an excellent viaticum. When conversation at our visits flags we turn to the dulcimer and sing. New use the song book we used to bring to my Dad's birthday music bash in the woods at Texas Falls.

Alice and I are getting ready for a centerpiece making party on Saturday. Plenty of balsam, holly, baubles, candles and florist's foam. Becky goy the party started when she lived here and we are continuing ... I expect about 18 people.

Brand new subject. Do you ever hear of people in your neighborhood getting KIVA loans? I have been making k
Loans for two years, all over the world, but mostly in Cambodia. Somehow it makes me think I am adding to your efforts. And my admiration for Jaz and her career remains undiminished.

Merry Christmas Jess.

John

Jess said...

Well, this is fun! I so enjoy reading what everyone else is up to! Thanks so much -

Miriam said...

well, compared to Anne and John... I am trying to make a cold go away by stuffing Kleenex up my nose and drinking tea. Yesterday I flew to NYC and back for my uncle's funeral. Believe it or not, my mother's OLDER brother. He lived in a religious community and spent most of his adult life living and working in Jamaica. He was full of faith and hard-working and a bit eccentric. It was nice to honor him. Once I get the snot under control, I am going to bake cookies full of orange rind and ginger. Looking forward to a visit with you SOON.